Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Roasting Real Pumpkins

If you want to see me make Pumpkin Pie Rice pudding you can do so here:




Okay, some of you can't easily buy canned pumpkin...so here goes.  You can see that I bought two.  Cut it in half and remove the stem.  Turn it upside down on foil lined pan and cover with foil and roast at 350F for about 45 minutes until tender.

Then scoop out...


Then mash...


Then I refrigerated the pumpkin.  It made about two cups.  I used all of it in the pumpkin Pie Rice pudding although I calculated that it was about 1/4 to 1/2 cup more than needed and it turned out just fine.  I also used a fine wire mesh strainer and strained off a bit of excess juice. I would say that there was a good 1/4 cup that came off of the pumpkin.  The rice pudding was just the same as when I make it with canned pumpkin.  With canned,  I use the whole can or 15 oz of pumpkin.
Here it is:


See the earlier blog post for the recipe!  Next up will be pumpkin custard, hey I am in a pumpkin mood.  Oh, and I did roast the pumpkin seeds on the same foil in the oven after the pumpkin was cooked.  I salted and peppered them.  When they were roasted we ate them, shells and all.  It only had an ounce of seeds.  I weighed them because they do count as syns but they were a lovely salty treat!  Shhh, that was another secret!  Boy, I do know how to let those secrets out of the bags I am hauling, huh!  Oh, and I lost 6 pounds this week...did I tell you that I am getting SMALLER!

No comments:

Post a Comment